Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Feeling Very Thankful

The week of Thanksgiving was a wonderful one.
A half week at school, two days off, good food, even a little Black Friday (online) shopping... like I said, wonderful.

I read my kids the Albuquerque Turkey, which if you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend it.  Very cute story.  It's actually a song, sung to "Oh My Darling Clementine".  I'm very visual, so for those of you out there who are too, here's the cover:

After we read this book, I had my students make their own "Albuquerque Turkey"s.  


What you'll need for this craft is 
2 large circles out of paper
1 smaller circle of paper
1 yellow triangle out of paper
1 orange teardrop shape out of paper
2 googley eyes
5-6 feathers
2 black or brown pipe cleaners

You glue the feather between the two large circles at the top, and the two pipe cleaners (bent into feet- I had to do most of them for my kids) at the bottom.  Then glue on the smaller circle, the eyes, the beak and waddle.  This is the most fun part, because sometimes they don't put them where you think they will.  This is just one of the many very cute turkey ideas out there.

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving we watched The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  Here's a confession.  That was my first time ever seeing it.  Just one minor set-back of growing up over-seas.
After the movie we had a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving party!  Naturally, we had toast, jelly beans, pop corn and pretzels.

I also had each child draw a picture of something they are thankful for.  And where it is Thanksgiving or not, it's always good to think about:
What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment