Every summer our youth group has what we call "Riptide Summer Camp". Every week has a theme, for which the students are encouraged to dress up. This year we're finishing the summer off with a super-fun Color War!
What this means for me though, is the opportunity for SO MANY COSTUMES!!!
The first night's theme was Disney villain. Our best friends here in Jacksonville are also some of our youth sponsors. We brain-stormed a little, and then came up with the PERFECT costume idea for them... Yzma and Kronk, from The Emperor's New Groove (Which is one of my favorites, and I could quote the whole thing to you!).
Incase you're unfamiliar with the movie, here's who they are:
So, my friend Amy and I went to Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and got all the supplies we would need.
1 plain blue T-Shirt
3 sheets of large yellow foam paper
1 yellow foam construction hat
Yellow pipe cleaners
1 roll of light purple duct tape
2 yards of dark purple fabric
Strappy little black dress
Purple feathery hair pieces/decorations
Wide, wired purple ribbon
Teal foam paper
Earrings (ones you preferably don't care about)
Black stretchy hair band
Lots of purple make up (falsies optional)
First, we started on Kronk's costume.
1. Take the blue shirt, and cut off the sleeves.
2. Take one of the large yellow foam papers, in the top middle, cut a semi circle for the neck. Cut two rectangles out of the two bottom corners.
3. I laid a wrap-around skirt I had on the purple fabric, and cut along that. Basically, you're cutting the fabric into a semi-circle, but don't forget to leave a thin piece at the top to tie it with.
4. Cut one piece of the yellow foam paper in half, creating two smaller rectangles. Cut the bottom of each one into a curve. Using a hole punch, punch holes along the edges, every two inches. Lace the yellow rope through, like shoe laces. These are the leg cuffs.
5. Repeat with slightly smaller rectangles for arm cuffs.
6. Cut the rim off the yellow foam hat. Push a pipe cleaner through the top. Using duct tape, secure it on the inside. Using left-over yellow foam paper, cut out two small semi-circle-type shapes for the top of his hat. Using hot glue, glue them to the top of the pipe cleaner (one on either side).
7. Make a belt out of the light purple duct tape, by adhering strips of it to itself.
8. Assemble! (Pair with sandals or flip flops.)
1. Find a scrappy black dress.
2. Cut two large ovals out of he teal foam paper. Glue them to earrings (that you don't particularly care about).
3. Purple boas. We used two, to add a new dimension.
4. Pull hair into high pony tail.
5. Put on black hair band.
6. Cut long piece of ribbon (12 inches). Curl around your hand. Take off hand, and uncurl gently, and adjust to your liking. Tuck bottom of curl into the hair band, near the nape of your neck. Use bobby pins to secure at the top of your head. Add feathery hair piece.
7. Assemble! (Pair with black shoes.)
The moment you've all been waiting for...
Don't they look just perfect!!!
I love her!
Guess who that is next to her... Tutorial coming soon!