Search This Blog

Monday, November 3, 2014

Halloween Fishers Of Men Trunk Or Treat Idea

One of the things about growing up overseas, is that we never celebrated Halloween.  Even if we did live in the States, we probably would've been the family hosting the harvest party at church.
So, I get really excited about the fun, costume and candy aspect of Halloween.  Of course, I don't like the evil and scary aspect of Halloween (the scariest movie I've ever seen is Jumanji).  I do, however LOVE costumes, as I've mentioned in the past, and candy - well, I love candy too.  So, yeah, this is right up my alley.

Our church started an annual "Light Up The Night" Trunk or Treat event last year.  We love it!  Last year we did a David and Goliath trunk.  We painted a Goliath face on foam board, cut two holes in it, and had a bean bag toss game for the kids.



This year, I really wanted to make a sushi costume for Aidan.  I had seen it on pinterest, and thought it was adorable!  So, we went with Matthew 4:19.  "Jesus said to them: Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Here's what I used for Aidan's sushi costume:
- white onesie
- felt (peach, salmon, pink, green, black)
- thread
- scissors
- fabric glue

Directions:
1. Draw out a basic pattern on paper.
2. Cut them out, pin them on felt, and cut them out as well.
3. Glue pieces on top of each other.
4. Finally, glue and/or sew pieces together.


Voila!
After that, I took to the actual trunk.
You'll need:
- Large piece of cardboard, cover with blue bulletin board paper
- Blue plastic table cloths
- Different shades of blue balloons
- Chinese lanterns
- Googley eyes
- Colored paper
- Duct tape
- Rod
- Yarn
- Large magnet
- Clasp-type paper clip
- Swedish Fish Halloween candy
- Hot glue gun

Chinese lantern fish:
1. Cut out fins and such, out of colored paper, and glue them to the Chinese lanterns, to make fish or other sea creatures. 
2. Then, using hot glue, glue them on, along with the google eyes.



How to put it together:
1. First, we took the lid off the part of the trunk that has our spare tire.  And then, the spare tire.  We then laid the blue plastic tablecloths down, and the large piece of cardboard in the back.
2. Using the duct tape, attach balloons to the piece of cardboard.
3. Turn rod and yarn into a fishing pole.  Add magnet to the end.
4. Hang fish, and other sea animals from trunk.
5. Put large clasp-type paper clips on the bags of Swedish Fish.
6. As the kids walk up, let them use the magnet to "fish" for Swedish Fish!  Just make sure you remember to take the paper clip off before handing it to the kid.  Can you imagine how much a mom might freak out, to find a paper clip in their kid's Halloween bag!?  Yikes!


7. Also, Dan and I bought Sriracha shirts from Target.  Have I mentioned yet?  I love Target!

Our Sushi Baby

"Fishers Of Men"
I'm already thinking of ideas for next year... it may involve spandex.  Or lava lamps...  Shag carpet?  Or capes...?  

So, have you or your family ever done anything for a trunk or treat?  What ideas do you have?  What are your thoughts on celebrating Halloween?

I'm so glad you stopped by!  Please leave me your thoughts!

2 comments: