I searched everywhere for a manageable DIY cardboard pirate ship. I found a couple, but not really what I was looking for. So, I figured it out as I went, and thought I would share it with you!
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 Large rectangular cardboard box
- Paper towel rolls
- X-acto knife
- Duct tape
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint brushes
- Black construction paper
- Printed out Jolly Roger
1. Here's the box
To give you on an idea of the size, Rubbermaid containers were in it.
2. I bent the flaps in, to create this shape.
I used duct tape on the inside, and some hot glue as well.
3. I cut a rectangle shape in the top, using the X-acto knife.
4. Then, I used duct tape to close the back flaps up.
5. I used the rectangle, and made a smaller one that would fit in the front hole. I used duct tape and hot glue to fasten it again.
6. I traced 2 circles onto each side, then a larger one around that one. I cut the smaller one out with an X-acto knife.
7. I used the last bit of leftover cardboard for an anchor. I drew an outline, and then cut it out!
8. I used two paper towel rolls, and a toilet paper roll, stuck them inside each other, and secured it with hot glue. I cut little slits in the bottom of the roll, fanned it out, and hot glued it into the boat for the mast.
9. I printed out a not-scary looking Jolly Roger, and glued it onto a black piece of construction paper. Then I glued that to the mast.
10. Then, using acrylic paint, I painted portholes, and waves of water.
And there you have it!