Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Apartment With The Gorgeous Light



*Edit: unplanned by anyone, COVID-19 has hit the world, and caused us to have to move significantly sooner than we had planned. I am so thankful, in retrospect that I took the time to take these photos and write this post, as it's the only closure I am getting at this time.

We are moving. This is an exciting time, but I'm sad to say goodbye to the place we've called home for the past 2 1/2 years. This apartment has been good to us. The light is just phenomenal, which makes every picture I take just that much better. One whole wall is windows, and even though we are in the city, our view is of a church and cemetery (I love cemeteries!).

Dan and I have very similar taste in style and design, which makes life a lot easier in that regard. We have a few "tricks" that we use to make our style affordable and yet unique. Today, I'm going to share some pictures of our space, and then share them with you.






























Okay, now for the tips!

1. Inexpensive furniture - Okay, so most of our furniture is from IKEA. The table and benches are an exception, as well as the "coffee table" between the two mint colored chairs. Especially with kids, there is no reason to shell out a bunch of money on things that are more than likely going to get ruined.

2. Unique details - We get our furniture from IKEA, but then complement it all with more unique pieces. We find these pieces at antique markets, flea markets, boutiques, from local artists, online, on Etsy, Zara Home, Magnolia, etc. This makes it so that our home doesn't look like a page from an IKEA catalogue, that it doesn't look like everyone else's home, or so "sterile".

3. Neutral base palette - by keeping the color scheme in a neutral palette, this means that we can switch out pops of color with the seasons. Add some light-colored or floral throw pillows in the spring, those yellow billy ball flowers in summer, beautiful autumnal oranges and dark greens for Thanksgiving, and sparkly metallics and red and green for Christmas. I really love light teal, which lucky for me is actually in the neutrals, so that's great! Those chairs by the window are some of my favorite!

4. Consistent, running elements - another one of my favorites is lavender. I love the look of it, the color and especially the smell of it. So, I use it in our bathrooms, and in vases in the living room. I also love (specifically the Slovenian) mountains, so I have those sprinkled around the place. Same with driftwood. The reason these are great, is because I can move things around and rearrange them in different ways throughout the apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment