Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2020

Mexican Wedding Cookies


My mom made Christmas cookies for our neighbors every year.
She made all the yummy ones - snickerdoodles, peanut butter blossoms, chocolate chip cookies and my favorite at the time, Mexican wedding cookies.

The funny thing was, she only ever made enough for the neighbors. She didn't do this to be mean, or anything like that, it's just that in her calculating, she made enough for each plate, and that was that.

She had my brothers and I deliver them each year. Each time we rang the doorbell, someone would come out, greet us warmly, and often they would invite us in for a bit. While we were there, it wasn't uncommon for them to open up the cookies from our mom, and graciously ask if we wanted any. And the truth was, my friends - we did! Ha!

So, we grew up loving our mom's cookies - but for the most part we ate them at the neighbors' houses. We were always careful not to eat too many - of course they weren't for us - but I was always happy if I could get a Mexican wedding cookie.

Now I'm an adult, and although I recently discovered chocolate crinkle cookies, which have quickly shot to the top of my "favorites" list, these still have a soft place in my heart.

They aren't super sweet, and crumble in your mouth. They are delicate, and look like little balls of snow. The perfect Christmas cookie!




Ingredients:

 

1 cup butter or margarine at room temp.

6 tsp powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups cake flour (or regular flour with a tbs taken out of each cup.)

1 cup walnuts or pecans chopped as finely as possible

 

+Extra bowl of powdered sugar for rolling.

 


Directions:


1. Combine all ingredients to make dough. 

 

2. Roll into teaspoon-sized balls, place on un-greased cookie sheet, and bake at 350 F 175 F for 7-8 minutes.

 

3. Once out of the oven, as soon as they are cool enough to handle, roll them in the powdered sugar.  


4. That's it! Store them in an airtight container for a few days, or freeze them up to 3 months. 


Makes approx. 50

 



2 comments: