Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Lavender Simple Syrup


Honestly, this recipe is so simple and easy, I almost feel silly sharing it, bur I am planning on using this syrup in upcoming recipes, so I wanted to be able to refer you guys to this fun and easy lavender simple syrup recipe.

Syrups are pretty common in our part of the world - they are added to water (sparkling or still) as a way to have "juice". My Hungarian grandma used to make us drinks with her homemade syrups and a seller bottle.

Syrups are great for adding flavor to lemonade, iced (or hot) teas, icing, frosting, cocktails, cakes... the possibilities are endless. 

So, with my lavender plants and other herbs in full bloom I decided to take a crack at it.


Tools you'll need:
- small pot
- funnel
- small sieve
- glass jars
- optional: twine and lavender for "packaging"


Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
2 tbsp fresh food grade lavender flowers






Notes:
- if you're using lavender from your garden, you're going to need to wash it, and pinch/snap off the flower buds.
- you don't have to use white sugar, you can use unrefined sugar (which I used later for my mint syrup), just keep in mind that it will change the color of your syrup. You can also try honey, or alternative sugars, such as coconut sugar.
- technically all lavender is edible, as in it won't hurt you, but for cooking and baking you should use food grade lavender. Unless the plant (or buds) say explicitly that it is meant for food, you shouldn't use it. That kind of lavender is perfect for making essential oils, for making potpourri satchels, to dry to use in your home, or just to cut and place in water. Your best bet for finding a food grade lavender plant is at a plant nursery, or perhaps a hardware store.
- you can infuse simple syrups with just about anything, especially herbs. After the lavender one I made a mint one, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a thyme one, too. It's addicting, and I'm sorry to have drug you along on this with me, ha!



Directions:
1. Place all the ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil on a medium-high heat, ensuring that all of the sugar dissolves. Then bring heat down to a low heat, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, keeping in mind that the longer you simmer it, the stronger the flavor will be. (This is a great excuse to taste-test your syrup along the way.)

2. Using the sieve and funnel, pour your syrup into your jars. Place them in the fridge to cool, and voila! They should last 2-3 weeks in the fridge. If you want to jazz them up, or if you're giving them as a gift, you can make a little tag, or wrap twine around them and add a sprig of lavender.



This is an effortless way to elevate drinks and baked goods, and plus, it's just really fun!

For some extra fun, here is my mint simple syrup:
I had to use raw sugar, because I ran out of white, but I am kind of digging the brown. <3
For this recipe, follow the same instructions, just swap the 2 tbsp lavender with 1 cup of fresh mint.




No comments:

Post a Comment