Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2020

Streusel-Topped Peach Muffins

Aren't peaches the bomb?!
They just scream summer! I had a bunch of them sitting in my window, and was dying for a reason to bake with them.



There is a tailor on my new street. I took a duvet cover over to him the other day to have him let out and change the seam (hubby didn't believe me when I told him which size to buy - it was too small). When I asked him how much it would cost, he told me "Oh, nothing. I am just doing this because you are a good neighbor." (Mind you, this is the first time we've met.) I found this beyond charming, but also knew I couldn't leave it at that, so I wanted to bake something for when I went to pick it up.




Enter streusel-topped peach muffins.

Ingredients:

Streusel topping:
1/2 cup (94 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (100 grams) brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (55 grams) chilled butter cut into small pieces

Muffin batter:
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp (90 grams) room temperature butter
3 peaches - peeled and chopped into small pieces (pinky fingernail-sized)
1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all purpose flour 
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup (130 grams) sugar
1 large egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk (I have also made this with natural drinkable yogurt we can find here in Slovenia. It makes for a slightly denser muffin, but works just fine in a pinch.)



Directions:

1. Heat your oven to 350 F / 175 C.

2. Place muffin liners in your muffin tin (I made these out of baking paper), or spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray.

3. Using the whisk attachment on your mixer (or by using a pastry cutter) incorporate all of the ingredients for your streusel until crumbly (some large buttery chunks are good). Place in fridge until ready to use.

4. In a bowl, whisk (by hand is fine - less dishes) together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

5. Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat for about 1 minute.

6. With the mixer still going, add egg and vanilla extract. Beat for another minute.

7. With the mixer still going on a low speed, add half of the flour mixture. Fully incorporate, then add buttermilk. Fully incorporate that, then add second half of buttermilk. Mix until just combined.

8. Remove bowl from mixer, and gently fold in 2/3 of the peach chunks.

9. Spoon about 1 tbsp of batter in each muffin liner. Spoon the leftover peach chunks on top of that evenly between all twelve slots. Cover that with a generous tbsp of streusel topping. Then, fill them up with the remaining batter, and top with remaining streusel topping.

10. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

11. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes.




I say enjoy them warm, but they also keep for a couple days in an airtight container.

According to my daughter, it is eat-it-off-your-shirt good! I think if you try these, you'll agree! 



No comments:

Post a Comment