Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Saturn Peach Galette


It must be the nesting bug (11 days and counting) combined with the longing for Fall - but I've been dying for tasty dessert that made me feel accomplished, and made my family feel loved!

We've recently gotten into quiches, so there's been more pie crust lying around, and I've also now located where the puff pastry is in the grocery store.  
Also, at the beginning of summer we were introduced to a new fruit - the Saturn/donut/flat peach, which if you ask me, is the reigning queen of all peaches.  It's lovely shades of pink and white, and has a crisp sweetness that is addictive.  


So, we bought some at the market on Friday.  Although everything from the market TASTES better, and is most likely better FOR you, it spoils so much quicker.  I had them in a bowl with some nearly-too-ripe figs, which didn't help.
I was searching for a tart, or a pie, and came across something called a galette.  I read a few recipes (I drew heaviest from here), and decided to give it a go.  It seemed pretty dummy-proof, and I had most of the ingredients, so that helped.  Apparently galettes are best with pitted fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, etc), I'm assuming because they are a little heartier fruit.  I also learned that pretty much EVERYONE'S looks great, because it's supposed to look rustic and home-made.  Score!!  Also, it had cinnamon in it, and it's rainy and cooler out, which to me screams cinnamon!!!


Here we go!

Ingredients:
1 puff pastry (that you've thawed, and had out of the fridge for 10 minutes-ish)
3 cups (approx.) Saturn peach, sliced thinly
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (depending on how cinnamon-y you like it)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg beaten
Coarse sugar
Whipped cream/mascarpone/vanilla ice cream - something yummy to top it with.
(Next time, I might add some nutmeg!)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 F, or 190 C.  (Adjust for convection oven if needed.)

2. Wash and slice your peaches into thin slices.


3. In a large bowl, combine them with the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice.


4. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet, then roll out your puff pastry.  Because of its rectangular shape, I decided to cut the end off, and make two little tarts, too.


5. Pour the mixture into the middle of the pastry puff, leaving about 2 inches around the edges.


6. Fold up the edges.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Just be careful not to tear it, because if you do, your yummy juices will leak out while baking.


7. Brush the egg wash on the crust, and sprinkle the coarse sugar on the crust.


8. Bake for about 35 minutes (adjust time for convection oven, if needed) - until golden brown, and fruit is bubbling.


9.  Allow to sit for about 5-10 minutes, then serve!






Tips:

- For some extra decadence, top with whipped cream.
- If making the little tarts, make sure you drizzle/add some of the sugar and cinnamon "juice".  We liked the galette better, simply because it was juicier.
- This tart is one of those things that is best served soon after making - a few hours later it was still scrumptious, but I don't know well it would do overnight.  I imagine the crust would get soggy.

It turned out totally delicious, and when I asked Dan if I should make it again, he said, "yes, every week!"  Sounds like a win to me!

2 comments: