Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2018

Texas Roadhouse Copycat Rolls and Honey Cinnamon Butter


For the first time in my life, I own a standing mixer!  I am beyond excited at all the new recipes that have opened up to me.  Namely - bread.  If I could eat bread all day and not get fat, believe me, I wouldn't eat anything else again!
I was hoping that my first couple attempts would go really well, so I'd have the confidence to keep trying - thankfully, they did!

One of the first things I attempted was these Texas Roadhouse Copycat Rolls.  I have to be honest, the original post is AWESOME!  The lady gives step-by-step instructions along with pictures.  I baked mine in the evening, and it was already dark, so I don't have any pictures of the process.  So, if you're totally new at this (like I am), you should go check out her pictures.  

If not, keep reading, I'll give you an overview. :)

Ingredients:

For the bread:

  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast (FYI, the ones in Slovenia have the same amount)
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 cup whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm (Do this first.)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
  • 1 large egg (beaten)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups (437.5 grams) all-purpose flour

For the butter

  • 1 stick (1/2 cup or 113.6 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions:

For the rolls:

1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, using the dough hook attachment, stir yeast, water, milk, sugar, 2 tbs of the melted butter, egg, and salt until well combined.

2. Gradually add the flour and knead on medium-low speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  You may need to stop the mixer and help the flour off the sides and bottom a couple times.  

3. Turn off the mixer, and let the dough rise for 3-5 minutes.

4. Knead on medium-low speed for another 5 minutes, until dough is shiny and soft.  The original post said if you needed (if it was still sticky), you could add more flour a tbs at a time.  I didn't find that I needed more.

5. Transfer dough to a large greased bowl, then flip it upside down, so butter/oil gets on both sides. (I used butter.)  

6. Cover bowl with plastic wrap (making sure it is sealed), and allow to sit and rise for about 45 minutes to an hour, until dough has doubled in size.

7. Punch down dough (I always wanted to do that!), and roll out onto a lightly floured work space.

8. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out, until you have about an inch thick rectangle(ish).

9. Cut dough into approx. 2x2 inch squares.

(Note that excess dough does NOT shape back into a useable ball, so try your best to not leave any left over.)

10. Line baking sheets (probably two large ones) with baking sheets.  Place rolls on sheets, about 3-4 inches apart, and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rise again for 45 minutes to an hour.

11. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C (325F or 170C for convection oven).

12. Take plastic wrap off rolls, and place in oven.  Bake for 15 minutes (or 10 in convection oven).

13.  Take them out of the oven, and brush them with leftover melted butter.

Makes about 22-24 rolls.


For butter:

1. Using the whisk attachment of your mixes, beat your butter for 30 sec on medium-high (getting to that speed gradually).

2. Add powdered sugar, honey and cinnamon, and beat for 1-2 minutes.

3. Serve with warm rolls, or store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.


Now, I haven't been to Texas Roadhouse in a really long time, so I can't attest to their authenticity, but these rolls were amazing!!!

Also, wrapped up in tinfoil and heated up in the oven the next day, they make for great little sandwich rolls!

There you have it! Very easy, nearly fool-prof rolls!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment