Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2019

Meringue Cookie Recipe, Using Meringue Powder


I ordered meringue powder a couple months ago for royal icing.  I've been searching for recipes that also call for it, and finally found one for meringue cookies.  I modified the recipe a bit, and here you go!

What you'll need:
- stand mixer
- whisk attachment
- parchment paper
- piping bag with a 1m tip




Ingredients:

- 1/4 cup Meringue powder (I bought my Wilton one from Amazon.)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp extract flavoring (we chose strawberry first, and lemon the second time - I think we preferred the lemon!)
- (optional) gel food coloring (I used Wilton red the first time- which of course turned pink, like I wanted :), and yellow the second time around.)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 250 °F / 120 °C - don't use a convection setting.

2. In a stand mixer combine meringue powder and water until soft peaks form.  (Whip at high speed for about 5 minutes.)  Gradually add in sugar.  Whip until stiff peaks form.




3. Scrape down side of bowl.  Add extract and coloring.



4. Gradually turn mixer back on to high speed, until color is fully dispensed.  (Be careful not to over-beat, though.)




5. Spoon into piping bag with the tip you want. (Or, into a zip-top bag, with the tip cut off. That's what I did the second time.)



6. Pipe onto parchment paper lined baking tray, about the size of a mandarin orange.





7. Bake for 45-60 minutes.  Check on them at 45, and if they are not quite done, keep going for 5 minute increments.  It's okay if they're a little gooey on the inside, but the outside should be hard.  As they cool, they'll crunch up a little more.

8. In an airtight container they should keep for about 3 days. :)






And here are the yellow ones we made a few days later. 



These cookies are crisp and light - perfect for Spring! They're also easy to make with kids, and the added bonus is that you're not using fresh egg whites - therefore, if they lick their fingers (like mine did), you don't have to worry about salmonella! Score!

Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. I had these at a party once. I found your recipe I made them with bubblegum flavouring and made the pink with rainbow sprinkles! It turned out amazing. So amazing that they were gone the same day! I'm making another batch today to share with my family! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, those sounds AMAZING! What a fun flavor, and sprinkles make everything better! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I'm so glad you were pleased with how they turned out!

      Delete