Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Felt" like surrounding myself with flowers.

These little cutie-pie pins are my newest craze.
My mom is my craft supplier.  We "go shopping" on Etsy together, since we can't actually, and she is always supporting whatever my latest interest is.  Right now it's felt.  I've always loved felt.  It makes me think of warm and cozy things, and it's easy to sew (which is a bonus for me!).  
So, my mom got me these beautiful felt squares from Three Sheep Studio http://www.etsy.com/people/ThreeSheepStudio.  They have amazing colors, and the texture is so rich!  My mom wanted my room to be yellow and blue, but I insisted on pink.  So, in today's craft, I decided to make both camps happy.  I am making a yellow and pink flower pin, with a pink bud.  I like making pins, because they are a great way to make an outfit pop, and with a little bit of maneuvering, they can be added to hair bands, bracelets, bags, hats... they're perfect!


So, I started off with a yellow and blue square of felt, a pink felt ball, which I had left over from my "Hungarian craft stash".  However, you can easily find these on Etsy, or craft stores.  I also have matching pink thread and safety pins.

This is the pattern that I used.  They are purposefully not even, or perfect.  I like them to look just a little more "accidental".  Of course, you could use any pattern and size you want.

First, I cut out the larger flower.

Then the smaller one.

I laid them out, to see how I liked the color combination, and to see which way the flowers layered best.

Firstly, I sewed the felt ball to the smaller flower.  I tried to sew down a pretty large area, because I didn't want the ball to really move around.

Secondly, I stitched the smaller flower to the larger one.

Next, I sewed the pin to the back of the flower.  The back of this pin isn't too pretty, which my mom probably would notice, but trust me - no one else will! :)  I stitch along the pin as close as possible, and as many time, because I'm always afraid it'll com undone.

So, this is what your flower should look like.

Finally, I did a blanket stitch along the large flower, to give it a "finished" look.

Add to outfit, and done!

So, these flowers are the perfect little "maybe-more-shabby-than-chic" accessory I'm trying out right now.  My dog loves them so much, he put one in his mouth, but was sorely disappointed when it didn't taste like the last thing I made that he stole... a cupcake!  :)

Please let me know if these craft ideas are helpful to you, I would love to get some feedback!

1 comment:

  1. Finally, blue and yellow together in your world! I'm happy :D. The stitching on the back isn't noticeable, so I can't inspect! Love the step pics.

    ReplyDelete