Last night, my husband was musing that he was craving some chocolate cake. I love him dearly, and our anniversary was this week, so I happily made my man a cake. :)
The only problem was, that our son had eaten the last two eggs for breakfast that morning, and grocery stores are actually closed here on Sunday afternoon. So, I looked up some "eggless" chocolate cake recipes, and came across one I liked, didn't QUITE wait until it fully cooled, put on some delicious chocolate buttercream frosting - and it was divine! It was very spur of the moment, so my pictures aren't great - but trust me! This is going to become a go-to in our house!
- standing mixer
- 8x8 inch pan
- baking paper
- non-stick spray
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I actually used some semi-sweet hot chocolate mix, and it was awesome)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup room temperature butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbs sweet and condensed milk
- about 4 tbs semi-sweet hot chocolate mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C. Line 8x8 cake pan with baking paper, and spray with non-stick spray.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda) in the bowl of your standing mixer.
3. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, vinegar, oil and water.
4. Turn mixer on medium speed, and pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until all the lumps are completely done.
5. Pour batter into pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes (24 minutes for convection oven.)
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Allow to fully cool.
7. For frosting, cream together butter, salt and vanilla extract, then gradually add powdered sugar. Add sweet and condensed milk and chocolate powder. Whip until fluffy.
8. Allow cake to fully cool (or don't, haha!) and frost the cake.
This cake stayed super moist, and delicious! It's definitely going to be a go-to!