Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Parmesan Sea Salt Herb Shortbread Crackers

Yesterday, we set up our annual try-to-keep-it-alive herb garden and I wanted to make something that celebrated all their delicious-ness!

At the same time, it just so happened that on my pinterest board this recipe popped up! It was a terrific guide as far as measurements go, and the idea, but I only had half of the parmesan, so I halved it, and added some sea salt to them before I baked them. I'm glad I did, as it was a nice nod to Slovene salt, and added a little more flavor. They're darling, I love how they look! Not to mention that they're light and tasty!


What you'll need:
- food processor
- baking paper
- rolling pin
- small (2 inch diameter) round cookie cutter
- silicone mat

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs flour 
- 1/4 cup room temperature (very soft, I left min out overnight) butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs finely minced fresh rosemary and/or thyme (I did both)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt 
- couple pinches of cracked pepper
- fresh herbs for garnishing
- sea salt flower or regular sea salt for garnishing

- 1/4 tsp water on hand, if you need to make the dough a little wetter. I should've trusted my gut and put it in, I think it would've made it a little easier.


Directions:

1. In the bowl of the food processor, pour flour, butter, parmesan, minced herbs, salt, and pepper. 

2. Pulse the food processor 30 times, until crumbly in texture, and just starting to come together. Here is where you would add the water, if needed.


3. Pour out onto silicone mat, and kneed together into a patty. I found it to be very crumbly, and this step was a little difficult - getting it all to stay together.


4. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

5. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 177 C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.

6. Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper until it is 1/4-1/8 inch thick. At this point, place the fresh herbs on the dough. Put the baking paper back over the dough and roll over it with the rolling pin, thus "laminating" it into the dough. 





7. Cut out the crackers with the cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet. 


8. Re-shape leftover dough, and roll out again, repeating the steps regarding the herbs.

9. Once they were on the baking sheet, I sprinkled sea salt flower (finishing salt) on them, and gently went over them with the rolling pin so that the salt would bake into the cracker.


10. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Allow to fully cool on baking sheet, and serve! 

Makes about 2 dozen.


Perfection!







Please let me know if you give these a try! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment